Tipping Point North South (TPNS) is a co-operative that supports and initiates creative, campaign-driven projects that advance the global social justice agenda. It is a ‘for the benefit of community’ co-operative, set up to work in the film and creative industries as well as within the not-for-profit sector ie with colleagues and partners in the international NGO campaign community. Its primary interests are to serve ‘community’ at all levels – from local to national to international – through these two key routes and with a particular focus on global social, economic and environmental justice issues.
It trades as Tipping Point Film Fund (TPFF) which works with/supports film-makers to maximise impact through campaigns that run alongside their feature-length documentary films. TPNS has also developed its own stand-alone campaigns – The Five Percent Campaign, Make Apartheid History and From Pink to Prevention.
Finally, TPNS works in partnership with a number of others organisations on a range of issue based projects/events – usually with film as a component, but not always. It also has a consultancy arm offering advice on film/development/education/events programming.
Tipping Point North South received vital support over three years from The co-operative, through its sponsorship of Tipping Point Film Fund.
For more information about feature-length documentaries supported by us, please visit Tipping Point Film Fund’s website.
In addition to the development and/or support of outreach campaigns to run alongside cinema documentaries through TPFF, Tipping Point North South also initiates stand-alone issue-based campaigns. Currently, our primary campaign projects are
From Pink to Prevention (advancing the links between environment and occupation and breast cancer)
Make Apartheid History (links civil rights, anti-apartheid and Palestine struggle movements and in support of BDS).
We can offer in-house expertise in film programming, collaborative events, social change campaigning, where film is the key tool to understanding more deeply the big issues of our day, in particular the relationships between the developed, rich world and the developing world – the global south.
The services we can offer fall primarily into these categories:
- Advisory consultancy
- Films & campaign development – for film-makers seeking in-depth advice on how to shape campaign outreach for their projects, Tipping Point can offer considerable knowledge and expertise at any stage.
- Events – from events with a film component through to film festival programming.
- Film education, new audiences & outreach – using film to illustrate and more deeply appreciate the often hidden story of how the rich world interacts with the developing world, whether this be through an environmental, economic or human rights prism. A bespoke package can be created for a variety of needs, depending on the institution eg. educational, business, local authority, etc.
- Crowdfunding – from purely advisory to hands-on management of online campaigns.
- Commissioned work ie short films produced in-house by TPNS for external organisations.
- Partnerships. More and more of our work is partnership focused. It may be film based, campaign based or a mixture of both and to date, has embraced a range of partners of partners: Tax Justice Network, Greenbelt, Christian Aid, The Lexi Cinema, St Ethelburga’s Centre for Peace and Reconciliation; The Alliance for Cancer Prevention; The Organic Pharmacy.